Monday, February 8, 2010

Taking the plunge



Like many of you out there blogging, my desire to write has come after a few years of reading some tremendous stories out there. It strikes me interesting that the folks I don't know seem like friends and the friends I follow now seem more like family. It's crazy how putting it all out there for the world or your mom to read really can come easy; but telling someone these things can seem a bit harder. Nevertheless, I am going to try this for myself at least. There are days where I hear a story and wish I had a place to save it - or times when I can't help but want to voice my opinion on something but no outlet to do so; until now.

I titled this blog Fashion, Family, Furbabies and Faith because that pretty much sums up the 4 pillars of my life.

Fashion: My mom worked in retail for 28 years. She was a fashion merchandiser, marketer, advertising manager, fashion show coordinator, sale organizer and any other thing you can think of at a small town department store. I loved her job. I grew up thinking my mom would do that forever, and when she was done, I would fall into her footsteps. We laugh that my first toy must have been a tube of lipstick, given to me by the cosmetic queens I adored, as I played at the "store." There was hardly a fashion show where I didn't tape shoes for the models, tape hemlines, pick out music (just helped Mom stay "cool"), choreograph or watch in total admiration. I traveled with my Mom to Nashville, TN to work their shows which were HUGE, HIGH BUDGET shows. The Fashion Director there was this brilliantly ecletic woman whom I adored. She had a crew of models who were so cool, fun and nice. We always joke that I saw more "life" by the age of 14 than some people do by 40. I met celebrities, stars, make-up artists and wannabes and soaked EVERY bit of it in. I am telling you; we could write books. Books upon Books. I briefly modeled myself; some of my friends modeled; it was all just fun. I did some ads in Nashville, one country music video and a few big shows...but I was hardly 16 at that time. My wonderful Mom drove me to so many auditions, jobs and no telling whatever else. We would either say she had joined me for a day of shopping or that my car was in the shop because most clients had no idea I was 15! When I did get my license I had a bit more freedom; but there are only so many times you can skip school to go to TN or Alabama for a show....It just wasn't going to be easy and I wasn't going to become famous; but it was a fun run. Some great pictures to look back on and a lifetime of memories to recall when I'm older!

Family: I am immensely blessed with a loving, wonderful family. My immediate family includes my fantastic Hubby, Chad (married just over 1 year!!!), my Mom (58) and my Dad (60), my brother Bryan (32) and his awesome wife Heidi and their three kiddos: Mason (7), Hallie (4) and Tate (4 mos). We are a WILD bunch, who are together A LOT. I love those kids more than I really understand. Until Chad and I have kids, they totally fit the bill :) I still have my maternal grandmother, Goggie, who turned 89 this past Friday (2/5/2010) and my two maternal uncles who happen to be twins: Jimmy and Tommy. We are so lucky to see each other quite often. We realize how precious time is - so we make all the effort we can to get together.

Furbabies: I am surprised I didn't list them first...My furbabies are MY LIFE. Period. Emma (5), a shih-tzu mix came into my life 3 years ago when I had moved out of my parents house, on my "own." A recent heart-broken college graduate, she was my little soul-mate. I found her on petfinder.com and my Mom rode with me to TN to pick her up. Our life was never the same again. She just had no idea how good she was about to have it. She was my best friend and taught me as much as renting a home did about life. She has been the ultimate mom-training as we have gone through nights of vomiting (her, not me, well, never mind, we both have), allergies, pills, vet visits, colds, etc. You name it - she has broken me in. She is a bit attention crazed but I can't blame her. It was her world until Eddie came into the picture. Enter Eddie. Our 13, (oh god, he turns 14 this month..) adopted Carin Terrier that Chad and I got after a night of cocktails. We have my mother (and margaritas) to thank for him. We adopted him in December 2007 and it was a rough start. He lost 3 teeth within the first week we had him, gave Emma an awful kennel cough and was in surgery within a month to have 10 teeth surgically removed. Thank you previous owner. Add to that another bought of tests a year later for another possible disease, well, he has cost as much as a newborn so we claim him as a child. Seriously. Life Lessons. Check. Eddie had a bit of a pot-belly but after being introduced to the green bean diet at night; he has shed some pounds (so fun to see your dog shed pounds that easy...I really am close to trying the green bean diet myself), is down to two medications and is A WHOLE NEW DOG. He runs, jumps, attempts to play...he is just a frisky little Momma's boy. I love it. I love him. I love them. They. Are. My. Life.

And last, but most important: Faith. I grew up going to a Catholic school but like most of my Catholic friends; I recognize I don't know a fraction about my faith that I should. For 12 years I have attended (and I admit, with many breaks) the Catholic Church on our college campus in town. I believe that giving one hour a week is the least we can do -but I also believe that faith is more than that. I believe that God is with you at all times and just recognizing your daily blessings and thanking him for them keep you in his grace. I do believe that without faith; life can be hard to understand; heck, with faith it's still hard...but I believe that sometimes when you just can't make heads or tails of life - God can. And He Will. So. I don't talk much about faith or religion; each to their own. But, I recognize I would not be who I am or have what I have with out it. So I claim it.

So...there is snapshot of FFFF. Oh the journeys I hope to record. This blog is based out of Bowling Green, KY. I work for a non-profit where I have been employed for 4 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment