Friday, August 6, 2010

Is this what happens when you get old?

I feel old today. Not just because I'm tired. No, that's not it.

It's a slap of reality that has hit me the last few days.

I found out yesterday that an old friend had his kidney removed in emergency surgery. I kept seeing some posts on his wife's facebook page about him being so strong, superman, etc. I posted something asking her what was going on, but no response (which has to do with the "former friend part". Let me explain. Best firends in HS, tried to date, didn't work, best friends at the start of college. I started dating, upset him, he never dated, I dated some more - apparently breaking the "we're supposed to get married" code. Yes, I am the "girl that broke his heart" the girl who "let their son fall in love" etc. Really?) Anyhow. The wife isn't a fan of mine, and if he was heartbroken, she has every right to defend him. I get it. But, we have a lot of fantastic friendship memories. A lot of great times. A lot of good stuff. And it's all gone. My biggest regret is not inviting them to my wedding. We weren't speaking. They never thanked me for their beautiful wedding gift (actually they denied ever getting it, even though I had delivered it to his mom). But. I should have been bigger and sent the stupid invitation. I hate that about great friendships that die in the "heat" of a moment. Stupid, stupid, stupid. We were going to try to meet up while on mutual vacations in Savannah this year. I felt so great about it. But, we got the cancellation text. Sigh.

Anyhow. He went to hospital. Had lost 40% of blood internally due to a mass on his kidney. The operated, removed the 4x larger than normal mass. Then hours later went back in to remove the kidney. He is 28. I konw this isn't the worst of the worst, but it just makes me sad for him, for his wife and son to know the recovery they will endure. It makes me sad I can't call him or talk to him as a friend and say how freaking scared and sad I've been.

Sad.

Another acquaintance posted last night that her new husband passed out at work, hit his head and was in the hospital with a skull fracture and an air pocket behind it.

Another Facebook posting uncovered that the son of a family I used to house sit for had a serious bicycling accident and broke his neck and back. He is not paralyzed but is enduring surgery after surgery.

Why??

Why all this serious pain and tragedy?

No comments:

Post a Comment